Drip drip drip

Caught on the Barbed Wire of Sensation

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Poetry is Inappropriate



Inappropriate.

Poetry is inappropriate. It prescribes meaning without owning up to it. It spreads words, like tentacles, out among unacknowledged 'reality' (without going into a discussion of Kant, Baudrillard, etc. . . insert your own version of 'reality' here).

Poetry is an embarrassment, unless it is lofty or removed.

Poetry is . . . well parallel structure is embarrassing, and a cheap tool in the poetry writing arsenal.

I don't like the word. I don't like the connotations. Damned semantics always getting me down.

I place words next to each other, plain words, orbiting around the sphere of the unspoken.

I'd like to think there is more to us than what we say. I'd like to think that what others say is also what we say to ourselves. I'd like to think that semantics isn't as thorny as it is. I'd like to think I could quit using parallel structure here.

No comments: